Friday 8 May 2015

Personalized Learning [Module 4]

One thing I learned during this module is the fact that I could personalize learning much more on my lessons. I have some materials in Moodle already, but I am not sure if those are in proper use. I think I should think about some good assignments and lesson plans where students can set their own goals, design their own learning tracks and do the self assessment in the end. I have to think about this more.

For personalized learning I have used several different materials which I have uploaded to Moodle learning environment. Students can choose which materials they use, when they study some subject. For instance there is PowerPoint-slides embedded from Slideshare or slides in pdf. There is also embedded Youtube videos (CrashCourse or Khan Academy or some videos in Finnish language), links, texts and timelines. I have embedded some examples of timelines earlier to this blog. The main problem with videos is the fact that they are usually in English. Some of my students can manage with that easily, but there is also many of those, who struggle a lot when they watch these videos.

Below is one good online material, which can be used in personalized learning in history. I have embedded these on my Moodle history courses. With GeaCron application students can easily investigate how state boarders change through history.



I use Google Forms in self assessment and collecting feedback on my courses. I sometimes try to ask students's preferences of learning through these Google Forms questionnaires. I have also linked some learning style tests, which are available in web, to my Moodle courses and then I have sometimes encouraged my students to do these tests.

Overall it's pretty useless for me to try to collect information about students's learning styles. We have five period in our school year and student groups change after every six week period. So there is not much use to try to understand their personal propensities, because there is not enough time to apply this information.

But on the other hand I think that it is much more important for students to understand themselves, what is the best way for them to learn. That's why I try to encourage them to reflect and think about their learning and for example try some learning tests which are available in the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment